Indiblogger

Monday, March 14, 2011

Discovering Murakami....

Just been reading around for more info on Murakami,when I came across these snippets about writing from him.

"I can pinpoint the exact moment when I first thought I could write a novel," Murakami recalled in a memoir. "It was around one thirty in the afternoon of April 1, 1978. I was in Jingu Stadium that day, alone in the outfield drinking beer and watching the game." It was a beautiful spring day, not a cloud in the sky, a warm breeze blowing.

"The crack of bat meeting ball right on the sweet spot echoed through the stadium. (The batter) easily rounded first and pulled up to second. And it was at that exact moment that a thought struck me. You know what? I could try writing a novel. I still can remember the wide open sky, the feel of the new grass, the satisfying crack of the bat. Something flew down from the sky at that instant, and whatever it was, I accepted it."

"As I write I think about all sorts of things. I don't necessarily write down what I'm thinking; it's just that as I write I think about things. As I write I arrange my thoughts. And rewriting and revising takes my thinking down even deeper paths. No matter how much I write though, I never reach a conclusion. And no matter how much I rewrite, I never reach the destination. Even after decades of writing, the same still holds true. All I do is present a few hypotheses or paraphrase the issue. Or find an analogy between the structure of the problem and something else."

No comments: